Effective Date: October 23, 2014
Information collected and stored automatically
There are certain categories of information we will automatically collect or store when you visit the Site and browse through pages or download information. In general, this information will not identify you personally. We collect this information for statistical purposes and, from time to time, to perform analyses of user navigation through the Site in order to measure customer interest in various areas and to help make our Site more useful to visitors. We will disclose this information to third parties only in aggregate form.
Specifically, we may automatically collect the following types of information:
- Your Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, which is a number automatically assigned to your computer by your Internet Service Provider whenever you use the Internet;
- The type of browser and operating system used to access the Site;
- The date and time you access the Site and whether you have visited the Site before;
- The pages you visit within the Site;
- Information necessary to personalize your experience with the Site; or
- If you linked to our Site from another website, the URL of that website.
Cookies and similar technologies
A “cookie” is a small file containing a string of characters that is sent to your computer when you visit a website. When you visit the website again, the cookie allows that site to recognize your browser, and it may store user preferences and other information.
When you visit the Site, a cookie may be sent to your computer by a third party analytics company—for example, Google Analytics, in order to track the categories of automatically collected, non-personal information described above. We track this information in order to improve our Site and maximize your user experience. No other third-party cookies are placed on your computer through your use of the Site.
The Site may also use web beacons alone or in conjunction with cookies to compile information about your use of the Site and interaction with e-mails from NARPP. Web beacons are clear electronic images that can recognize certain types of information on your computer, such as cookies, when you viewed a particular Site tied to the web beacon, and a description of a Site tied to the web beacon. We use web beacons to operate and improve the Sites and e-mail communications. We may use information from web beacons in combination with other data to provide you with information about us, and our services. We will conduct this review on an anonymous basis.
The major browsers have attempted to implement the draft “Do Not Track” (“DNT”) standard of the World Wide Web Consortium (“W3C”) in their latest releases. As this standard has not been finalized, the Site are not compatible with DNT.
Information collected that you voluntarily provide
We may collect any information that you choose to enter through the Site (including in emails you send, in filling out a form and submitting it through the Site, or in subscribing to newsletters or other services). This may include personally identifiable information such as your name, email address, year of birth, gender, zip code, and any information necessary to process your donations.
From time to time, we may conduct polls and surveys. Information collected through our polls, surveys, and questionnaires is used anonymously and/or in the aggregate, unless we contact you to request permission to use your individual responses for a particular purpose.
Use of collected information
We use the information we collect for the following purposes:
- to respond to your requests, questions, and comments;
- to provide you with personalized services (for example, information about your favorite subjects) and to send you email news;
- to let you donate online;
- to analyze usage of the Site and improve the Site; or to otherwise improve the quality of our services, including for market research, project planning, and troubleshooting problems;
Sharing of collected information with third parties
- NARPP will share the personally identifiable information we collect about you only under the following circumstances:
- with authorized service providers that help us provide our services or perform other business functions for us, such as sending emails and newsletters, processing donations, or hosting web services (but these service providers are not permitted to use personally identifiable information that we provide for any purpose other than to provide service to us);
- to respond to subpoenas, court orders, or other legal process, in response to a request for cooperation from law enforcement or another government agency, or to establish or exercise our legal rights, defend against legal claims, or otherwise protect or defend our rights or property;
- when we believe it is necessary to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, or as otherwise required by law;
- in aggregated or other non-personally identifiable form, and as otherwise described to you at the point of collection or pursuant to your consent.
- As we continue to develop our mission, we might sell or buy assets. In such transactions, user information, including personal information, generally is one of the transferred business assets. Also, if NARPP was acquired, your personal information may be one of the transferred assets. Therefore, we may disclose and/or transfer your personal information to a third party purchaser in these circumstances.
Limiting Collection and Retention
NARPP will collect, use, or disclose only personal information that is necessary for the reasons we have stated above, or as permitted by law. If we require your personal information for any other purpose, you will be notified of that new purpose. We will normally only retain any personal information for as long as necessary to fulfill the above purposes. However, some personal information may need to be retained for longer periods because of legal, contract, or auditing requirements.
Links to other websites
While we believe that an informed investor is the ultimate goal of our mission, we also understand that there may be a time when you no longer wish to receive information from us. At that time, if you would like to opt-out of email or mail communications, such as our newsletters, please email memberservices@NARPP.org or follow the unsubscribe instructions that are included in each email you receive.
We have in place physical, electronic and procedural safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information we maintain regarding you. Safeguards will vary depending on the sensitivity, format, location, amount, distribution and storage of your personal information. They include physical, technical, and managerial measures to keep any personal information protected from unauthorized access.
California’s “Shine the Light Law”
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 requires any operator of a website to permit its California-resident customers to request and obtain from the operator a list of what personal information the operator disclosed to third parties for direct marketing purposes, for the preceding calendar year; and the addresses and names of such third parties. NARPP does not share any personal information collected from this site with third parties for their direct marketing purposes.
Please note that your continued use of the Site once this 30 day period is over indicates your consent to the changes which were the subject of the notice.
For additional questions contact info@NARPP.org